Did you know?
• One in six Americans struggle with the reality of hunger.
• In 2011, 17.9 million households in America had difficulty providing enough food due to a lack of resources.
• In the largest study of U.S. hunger, 40% of people surveyed reported having to choose between paying for food and paying for their rent, utilities, or mortgage.
• In 2010, 5.7 million people per week received emergency food assistance, a 27% increase since 2006.
The Great Food Fight! is a 2 week annual food drive that helps thousands of families in the Delaware Valley who are in need. The canned goods benefit Philabundance, the region’s largest hunger relief organization, and food collected through Philabundance goes directly to the families in need. This year’s food fight runs from February 25th through March 8th.
Last year, OJR won the top prize for donating the most food and with our winnings, we donated $2,000 to the North Coventry Food Pantry which does not benefit from Philabundance. It is our goal to donate the most food again this year.
Please join the Fight! A bin for cans is located in the lobby at the Administration Building and Warwick.
Double Your Donation!
Gary Drumheller, owner of Drumheller Construction Management, LLC, WILL MATCH POUND FOR POUND the donations made by Owen J. Roberts School District students up to 20,000 pounds.
Donations can be brought to the school beginning Monday, February 25th, and must be received no later than Friday, March 8th to be counted in the contest.
Please donate healthy food items for families in need.
23% of those served are children.
• Canned / Shelf Stable Tuna
• Creamy Peanut Butter (Plastic Containers Only)
• Macaroni & Cheese
• Canned Beef Stew
• Canned Pasta, Beef Ravioli
• Canned Chili
• 100% Fruit & Vegetable Juice (Shelf Stable, Cans or Plastic Bottles
• Jelly (Plastic Containers Only)
• Canned Pork & Beans/Baked Beans
• Canned Green Beans
• Canned Corn
• Canned Fruit Cocktail
• Breakfast Cereal or Hot Cereal