Mr. Karel Minor, Mrs. Pamela Clouser Wolfe, Ms. Leslie Proffitt, Mr. Matthew Fitzgerald, Mr. Doug Hughes
Mrs. Cathie Whitlock, Mrs. Lisa Huzzard, Mrs. Melissa Booth, Mrs. Heather McCreary
4,500 school directors serve Pennsylvania’s 500 publicschool districts; all boards have nine members.
• School director elections are held every two years, on a 5-4 rotation to ensure continuity.
• All board members are elected to four-year terms.
• School directors are elected locally; however, the state constitution delegates to them the responsibility to administer the school system as agents of the General Assembly.
• All serve as volunteers, without pay.
• The “typical” Pennsylvania school director is male, well-educated, 50-54 years of age, married with two children attending public schools, and voluntarily devotes 6-10 hours per month to school board business.
• 15% of those serving on school boards in 2018 are retirees.
• 5% of school directors are homemakers,
10% are self-employed or business owners and 4% are engineers.
• The number of female school directors was 39% in 2018.
• About three quarters of Pennsylvania school directors have attained a college degree or beyond.
• 22% of Pennsylvania board members have more than 10 years’ experience in 2018.
• 57% of all districts involve students at
their local board meetings. Of those districts, 97% rate their involvement with students at meetings as satisfactory or highly satisfactory.
• 90% of school boards engaged their communities by participating in cooperative projects with business and community organizations.
• Pennsylvania school directors continue to keep adequate school funding at the top of the list of the most important educational concerns facing public schools.
• 50% of school directors identified public service, and desire to give back and contribute to public education as the primary motivating factor in their decision to run for school director.
• 85% of school directors indicated that incorporating equity into district programs was important or very important.